Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I must be in a writing mood today. I've written several e-mails--not just quick reply e-mails, but thoughtful, introspective e-mails. I know--who am I and what did I do with the real Janis? Maybe this is the real me coming out of a shell, or an incredibly thick layer of human weaknesses. I'm hoping to do better this year, since last year was pretty much a total bust, as far as personal growth goes (except for the weight, always the weight--that's on the list of things to get rid of).

The most surprising e-mail I got today was from an old friend of mine growing up. She found me on Facebook and said she has wanted to apologize for being mean to me when we were kids. Now, I know she was mean on occasion (aren't we all?), but I realized that when I have thought of her over the years, I have really only remembered the good times and felt sad that the friendship hadn't continued. I hope my response to her helps her feel better about anything she feels she did to me. And I hope that if I were to come across someone I felt I had offended that I would have the courage to apologize like she did to me.

No comments: